I've been feeling out of sorts lately, and I really didn't know why until today. I feel helpless. I would have caught on earlier, except that I don't feel helpless for me, but for others.
My wife has been diagnosed with a Pheochromocytoma. It's a kind of tumor that screws up a person's blood pressure, causing spiking. Left untreated, it can be deadly. But it can also usually be removed via surgery and the person is then good as new. But you have to find where it is first. Most of the time these things are on the adrenal gland, but my wife's is not. She just had an extensive nuclear scan, and the results came back negative--the tumor didn't show itself. So now what? Does she really have a Pheo, or is it something else? She doesn't feel herself, though she can still work (she types medical transcription from home). Granted, we're in this together, but the fact is that she is the one who feels sick and there's really nothing I can do to help her. I can't even tell her what I think will happen next.
I've made quite a few friends since I got a Facebook account. Most of them are other writers, some are just people I hit it off with, and a few are friends from out of the past. Most of them have problems going on in their lives. Jobs have been lost, bills are going unpaid, some are in bad relationships, others still suffering in the aftermath of a failed marriage or relationship, and some also have chronic health issues. A few have a combination of several of these at the same time!
I've always been someone who feels compelled to help, but most of them live hundreds if not thousands of miles away. Even those few who live close by I'm powerless to assist. About the most I can do is send an e-mail or chat a bit online with them, and be sympathetic, and offer to listen.
And hope that now and then it's helpful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You will also have our prayers here.
ReplyDelete